Spridlington is located 8 miles north of Lincoln – just off of the A15.
Make sure you visit the photo album for pictures of Spridlington
More information about Spridlington will appear here when it is available.
Contact us now if you can tell us more about the village.
St. Hilary’s Church
The present church dates from 1875, and was designed by James Fowler of Louth (1828 – 1892). It was built to replace an earlier church, which was dedicated to St. Hilary and St. Albinus. This name itself was due to the fact that there had originally been two churches in the village; St. Hilary and St. Albinus. The site of St. Albinus is not recorded. It is built almost entirely of local blue Oolite stone, dressed with Ancaster stone, and is in the geometric style of gothic architecture.
The church as it is today was built in memory of the Rector, Rev H F Hutton, who was incumbent for thirty-two years. A brass plaque commemorating this can be seen on the west wall by the door. The design of the church follows a simple box plan, which is 70 by 28 feet, with no separate chancel. This was done intentionally so as to avoid aisles that would obscure sight and impede hearing. The Rector in 1875, Rev Arthur W Hutton (son of the former rector) observed “that experience must decide whether the effort has been successful”.
The font stands on a plinth at the west end. The west end stained glass windows depict the early life of Jesus, and are colourful and detailed. There is a rose window above. This was re-leaded in 1993.
The chancel makes good use of wooden panelling, The cancellum screen has wrought iron gates and three steps, creating the chancel area. The side panelling forms the vestry and organ loft. The historic organ is due to be restored as soon as the funds have been raised. There are good oak carvings of angels either side of the chancel, which were carved by the same sculptor who carved the figure of Christ the Good Shepherd by the entrance.
The east window shows the figure of Christ in Majesty, with St. Peter and St. Paul on either side, and St. Hugh of Lincoln,. St. Hilary and St. Gregory below. Many features in the church indicate the influence of the Oxford Movement of the 19th century.
The organ is a fine example built by Nicholson of Lincoln. Records show that it cost £300.00 in 1875. It is built into an arched recess in the south wall. When built, it had 894 pipes, eight stops on the Great Organ, six on the Swell, and a Bourdon stop with octave pipes on the Pedal Organ. Over the years the pipes were reduced in number to 732. The organ was overhauled in 1983 by Henry Groves of Nottingham, but in 2007 it was fully and historically restored to its original condition by Andrew Carter of Wakefield. One expert described it as “…a lovely little instrument, with strong, lively chorus work and splendid quiet stops.”
Read about the Organ Restoration Project
The bell dates from 1802 and bears the inscription “J Harrison facit. William Morris, Church Warden 1802”. The bell was re-hung in 1992. Rev A W Hutton noted that “there is ample room and strength in the tower for a peal of six or eight bells, which perhaps will find their way here some day.” The tower is 65 feet high, although this appears higher due to the elevated nature of the church yard. It has a ‘saddleback’ roof, similar to those found in Normandy and along the Rhine.
Above the doorway in the north tower wall is a niche containing the figure of Christ the Good Shepherd, carved by Ruddock. The tower clock was a memorial gift from the Spridlington farmers and was made by J Bailey & Co of Salford, Manchester. The Priest’s Door contains a carving of St Hilary, Bishop of Poitiers, born around 300 AD in France.
See the photo album for more pictures of St. Hilary’s Church